Thursday 11 August 2011

Got Stink? Stripping without the nudity!

Have you noticed your diapers have a very, not so lovely smell to them?
Do they seem to wick away rather than absorb?
Is something just off?
You are probably in need of a strip. Well, not you, your diapers!
There are many different strip routines, and perhaps after reading them you will think of a few of your own. So long as it involves LOADS of water, it should work. Water is the key.

1) Super basic strip - Wash like you would regularly, then, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse.

2) Boil strip - Wash and dry as per usual, add them to boiling water, the turn boil down and let them simmer for 40 minutes then rinse them under cold water.

3) Boil strip #2 - Boiling water and dawn dish soap (The soap goes a looooong ways so be careful how much you use.) Put diapers in the wash add a few pots of boiling water 3 drops of Dawn. Fill the rest with hot water and... wash. Then rinse rinse rinse until there is no soap left. Then wash again with usual soap and extra rinse and dry.

4) My strip (since changing a few things I haven't had to strip in MONTHS) - I wash with 2 x soap,  rinse, rinse, rinse, wash without soap, rinse rinse rinse, then wash with the regular amount of soap, then rinse rinse rinse then wash without soap and rinse.

5) Hand strip - Soak diapers in the sink, put a drop or 2 of original dawn concentrate and scrub stink out of them! :D Then put in washer on wash cycle and double rinse. OR hand rinse until soap is gone.

There is also a strip routine with bleach, but because I would NEVER do it or recommend it, I had chosen not to add it, but, if you want to.... Google it!
Suggestions to avoid having to strip in the future! :D
a) Use less soap than you would on your clothes! Believe it or not it doesn't take a lot of soap to get your diaps clean, and, because diapers are made to absorb, it absorbs all that soap, which results in build up and a whole LOAD of problems.

b) Be careful which soap you are using. Even some "made for diaper" soap is no good. And, depending on your water, and your washer, may be no good for YOU and YOUR diapers. Before you spend the big $$ on an expensive made for diapers soap, try something natural. Like, Arm and Hammer essentials scent free, honestly the best soap I have used on cds. There are also different brands like Nellies, etc. (Another post will included my tried and tested soaps).

c) You may not be rinsing enough. Like I said, all water and washers are different. Perhaps you just need to add an extra rinse to your wash routine to avoid the need to strip in the future.

d) If you find you have stinky diaps often...... Soak overnight. I had issues when I first started cding and thankfully got it all figured out. I had to soak!
My wash routine is; Soak overnight in HOT, then, in the morning add the soap and start the wash. That's IT and I haven't had to strip since I started doing this!

e) If all else fails, let me know and we can find a solution! :D

2 comments:

  1. I'm having trouble battling diaper rash with my little one. I use fitted cloth diapers with separate covers and wash with a front loader about every second day. I tend to do a rinse, a long wash with Charlie's Soap and Oxy Clean, then another rinse, all in warm water. About once a week, I throw in one or two extra rinses.

    Since his rash is only in the diaper area and out in the open (rather than in the folds of the skin) and I suspect it is due to yeast, I'm not sure if my diapers may be harboring yeast.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy Stacey... So sorry.. Just seeing this.

      Cloth diaper do not hold yeast... So dont worry..

      It sounds more like build up. Water is the most important factor in your diaper care routine.. And the right soap is imperitive. I would say a no way to the oxy clean. And if you want to use charlies, use less. Less is more. And lots of water.. With many rinses. And if you can, soak overnight so they can get REALLY clean.

      I hope you have figured it out.. If not.. I hope this helps! Let me know!!

      Delete